Sunday, May 17, 2020

The best molasses cookies...I'm back !!


It has been eons since I have posted on my blog, not because I haven't been cooking, more a question of time and inspiration. I use my blog all the time to look up recipes, there are some great ones !! Now two things have aligned to motivate me to post again...time, due to the pandemic and need. There are recipes I have been using that I have to search for through old text threads and browser histories.

These soft chewy molasses cookies are so good and strangely enough they are vegan. I first made them for a vegan friend, now I make they because they are soooo good. I have no idea where I got the recipe, I have only two cut off images of the ingredients and the instruction. My apologies to the original chef.

Chewy Molasses Cookies. Yield 30-40 cookies

Ingredients

 1 cup soft vegan butter *
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
 1 tablespoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1 tablespoon ground ginger
 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cardamon
1/2 cup white sugar for rolling

* I use Miyoko's vegan butter, I think it give a better cookie than other brands.

 Instructions 
1) Preheat over to 350 F. Line two large baking sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.

2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy.

3) Add the molasses and vanilla, scraping the sides and beating until smooth.



4) In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.

5) Carefully add the dry mixture in two batches to the creamed batter, mix on low speed to combine.
    The dough will be thick but not dry.

6) Place the white sugar in a small bowl,  roll the dough into balls, then roll in the sugar to completely coat.  Place on your prepared baking sheet. The size of the balls is up to you.


7) Bake for 11-12 minutes, switching the sheets half way through the baking time. They will begin to crack on top, they will look very soft but they firm up when they cool. Try to leave them for 10 minutes to cool, it's a challenge !!



Enjoy !!

Notes:
-They ship and freeze very well.
-The original  recipe warns you to measure the flour very carefully...I go slightly under rather that over...





No comments:

Post a Comment