Monday, January 23, 2012

Pork Shoulder In the Slow Cooker

We happened to go to the Sunday farmer's market a couple of weekends ago and were delighted by the variety of vendors there. One guy was selling meat he had raised in near by Soquel, less than 30 minutes from us.
I am a big proponent of getting your food as locally as possible !!
I bought a couple of small pork shoulder roasts from him, each one about the size of a softball.
I didn't take many photos of this dish because I had no idea it would come out so well...I should know by now to photograph anyway ;-) I have to admit, sometimes I just want to cook and not have to document every step. Luckily this dish was easy enough to remember.

I started by coating the roasts with a rub the night before I was going to cook them. I covered them and returned them to the fridge.

Here is what I used, it is very flexible. Mix all the ingredient together in a bowl.

Laurie's Rub
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp Herbes de Provence*

*(it's a mix of oregano, rosemary, thyme, bay, lavender, basil, I was just being lazy you could use just dried basil and oregano or any other combination)

The next morning I got out my slow cooker/ crockpot.
Into the pot I put:
1 chopped  onion
1 pint stewed tomatoes
1 cup pineapple juice

I added the rubbed pork shoulder roasts and turned it to high just to get it going. After a couple hours I turned it down to low and let it cook the rest of the day.
It cooked about 8 to 10 hours.
I did push the meat around a few times to cover it in the sauce.
Towards the end I helped it fall apart, so more of it could soak up the liquid.
The herbs from the rub cooked down with the tomatoes, onions and pineapple juice and made it's own barbeque sauce.
The house smelled divine !!
I served it with mashed potatoes in a bowl and a side of kale salad.
Perfect for the cold rainy day it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment