Friday, December 27, 2013

Devils on Horseback


Oh my, I first tasted these amazing appetizers at Misfit in Santa Monica.
Dates stuffed with goat cheese and almonds wrapped in bacon, my idea of heaven.
And just in time for New Year's Eve !!!

For Christmas Eve we decided to do an all appetizer meal, both hot and cold.
Here was my excuse to try my hand at these delectable treats.



I was amazed at how many versions there are of devils on horseback. You can use a variety of cheeses: blue cheese, Stilton or asiago for example. Prunes can be used instead of dates, which would limit the number consumed. Some recipes use soy sauce, sherry or brown sugar and smoked almonds.

Here is the way I made them.

Devils on Horseback

Ingredients

soft goat cheese
whole almonds
sliced bacon
large dates, (medjools work well)
wooden toothpicks ( soaked in water)

I have not given amounts because it depends on how many you want to make and the size of your dates.
For each date you will need: one almond, about a 1/2 teaspoon of goat cheese, a half slice of bacon and one toothpick.
You do the math ;-)

I will give you lovely photos of the process.

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

1) Remove the pits from your dates.

2) Stuff with goat cheese and an almond.

3) Wrap in a half slice of bacon and secure with the toothpick.
4) Place on a foil lined baking pan.
5) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the bacon is crisp. Remove onto a paper towel to drain.

6) Serve after allowing to cool for 5 minutes.

Most of the recipes did mention how hard it was to get a photo that makes them look appetizing. Oh well, you will just have to trust me on that.

I plan to make these again for New Year's Eve !!




No comments:

Post a Comment