Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Roasted Winter Squash: or my attempt at pumpkin bouranee.


My dad and I used to go out to lunch at a lovely local restaurant: Laili.
They serve a dish called pumpkin bouranee, chunks of orange winter squash roasted and served with a yogurt sauce. I love this dish and it looks so simple but the recipes I found online seemed a far cry from what I was eating. No recipes, no problem, I will make up my own and I have. It is not an exact replica but I love it anyway.

Laurie's Roasted Winter Squash

4 cups butternut squash, baked and cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp.coriander
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 sprigs fresh mint, chopped

1) All the recipes I looked at, had you peel the squash before you cooked it. Do you know how hard and dangerous that is ?? My simple solution is to cut the squash in half and roast it first.
Put foil in your baking pan and over the squash as well. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  The squash should be done but not over done or too soft since you are going to roast it again. You should do this ahead of time. I like to do it in the morning so it warms up the kitchen.
 2) Now your squash is so much easier to peel !! Cut it into inch size chunks and place into a bowl.
 3) I like to grate my garlic with my micro grater, you can mince it instead if you prefer.

4) In a small bowl mix together the dry spices, salt and garlic.

5) Toss the squash with olive oil, then with the spices to coat.

6) Place on that same foiled baking pan.

7) Cover and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

8) Serve with yogurt and mint.



This makes a great side dish and is very good leftover.






No comments:

Post a Comment