Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Infused sugars and the May Day Art Faire.


I was surprised to realize that I have not posted since April 22. Mostly this is due to art fair last weekend, I was busy making things to sell there. I had my usual assortment of jams and jellies, a few body products and my photo cards. It was a fun two day show with lots of friends coming by to shop and support local artisans !


There was so much beautiful art, this fused glass work by Randie Silverstein.

These adorable bags by Dawn O'Regan.

















Our hostess, Nancy Howells is queen of pique assiette or broken plate mosaic.















I was happy with how well I did considering it was my first time at the this show. I do still have jams for sale in case you missed it: sunrise marmalade, rose champagne jelly, apple pear butter, hot pepper jelly, pumpkin chutney and raspberry jam.

It was fun to introduce a couple of new products at this show: infused sugars ! They are all the rage in the foodie world, you can use them for tea or coffee, mixed drink or in baking.



I offered three flavors: fresh lemon, mandarin orange and cardamom. Each uses a slightly different technique. For the fresh lemon I used fresh peel with the sugar in the food processor. The mandarin sugar has peel that I dried and powdered, it also has a couple of drops of orange extract. The cardamom uses the whole crushed pods as well as some of the powdered spice. Each jar comes with a recipe. The lemon sugar has my favorite lemonade. The mandarin sugar is great in the orange cake I recently posted. My chai spice cookies are divine with the cardamom infused sugar. I made the cake and cookies as treats for the shoppers at the show.

You might notice that there is a jar of brown sugar in the photo, that's another thing I wanted to try. I always make my own brown sugar, and while it is relatively easy, most people won't go to the trouble to do it. Homemade brown sugar tastes so much better than what you buy at the store, it makes your morning hot cereal a gourmet meal.

Look for these new items to be at my show in November !!


No comments:

Post a Comment